Welcome to The Science Department at Huxlow Science College, where we aim to provide all students with an excellent science education.
Key Stage 3 (Years 7, 8 and 9)
In years 7 to 9 we follow the KS3 National Curriculum. This is taught as a series of modules based on the Exploring Science scheme of work. A third of the modules are Physics, a third Chemistry and a third biological in nature. Whilst being a curriculum in its own right, its aim is also to prepare students for KS4 and their GCSEs / BTEC courses.
Key Stage 4 (Years 10 and 11)
In years 10 and 11 we run a variety of courses which are designed to suit all our pupils’ learning needs. We offer:
- OCR Core Science GCSE in Year 10. This is a one year course.
- OCR Additional Science GCSE in Year 11. This is a one year course.
Also, some pupils choose one of the following Science options:
- a) GCSE Health and Social Care - assessed over 2 years and leads to a highly successful Level 3 Course at Sixth Form.
- b) Triple Science GCSE- pupils study 3 GCSEs in Chemistry, Biology and Physics
Key Stage 5 (Years 12 and 13)
In years 12 and 13, as part of The East Northamptonshire College (TENC), we offer the following subjects:
- Chemistry A-Level. A two year course, examined at the end of year 13
- Physics A level. A two year course.
- Biology A-Level. A two year course, examined at the end of year 13
- Applied Science A level. In the first year, year 12, they study AS Applied Science. In year 13 they study A2 Applied Science. This is a broad Science qualification. The majority of this course is assessed by coursework.
- BTEC Science L 3. This is a two year course which is assessed by coursework. There are no examinations. It is equivalent to A levels in Science but is vocational in nature.
The Science department staff
- Mrs K Hodgetts-Tate - Learning Leader for Science
- Mr M Jones - Teacher of Science
- Mr J Cale - Head of Biology
- Mrs J Moody - Teacher of Science
- Mr E Otchere - Teacher of Science, Pastoral Leader for Year 10
- Mr C Blanch - Lead Teacher for Physics
- Miss S Mott - Teacher of Science
- Miss T Kimberley - Teacher of Science
- Mrs S Bryant - Teacher of Science
- Miss L Tapley - Trainee Teacher of Science
- Mrs J McDougall - Teacher of Health and Social Care, Assistant SENCO
- Mrs C Collins - Teacher of Health and Social Care
- Mrs A Channell – Senior Laboratory Technician
- Mrs A Clements – Laboratory Technician
- Mrs R Sparrow - Laboratory Technician