On Wednesday 9th November 2016, Huxlow held its annual Presentation Evening, to award students for a huge range of outstanding achievements. Governor, Mr D McVean, welcomed the students and their families. Mr S Gordon, Headteacher, then introduced our special guest for the evening, Anna Kompaniets, a former Huxlow student. Her captivating account of her studies at the “creative powerhouse” of Goldsmiths (University of London) and her career in the fashion industry, working for Vivienne Westwood, was a great inspiration to our current students.
Awards were then presented by Anna and Mrs L Gauvrit, Assistant Headteacher, to our current Year 8-11 students for their achievements over the course of the last academic year (2015-16):
- Endeavour Awards: Certificates are awarded to those students who have consistently produced good work throughout the year in five or more subjects
- Progress Awards: These are awarded to students with special educational needs for a variety of reasons
- Best and Most Improved Student Awards for each curriculum area: The Learning Leader or Head of Department announced the reasons why each student had been nominated to receive their trophy and certificate. Committed, conscientious, responsible, outstanding, exceptional, creative, enthusiastic, passionate, talented and dedicated are just some of the adjectives which were used excessively throughout the evening
- Gerald Prince Award: Named in honour of a former member of staff, this award goes to the best overall male and female student in Year 9.
- Steph Reynolds Award: Again, named in honour of a former member of staff, this award goes to the best overall male and female student in Year 8.
- Prefects: Year 11 students were recognised for the time and effort they dedicate to their duties as prefects.
- House Captains and Senior House Captains: A new addition to the Presentation Evening programme, House Captains are the students who have recently been elected by their peers to lead in House activities over the coming year.
- Head students: Having undergone a challenging application process, these sixth form students represent Huxlow at many events both within the school and in our community.
- Ambassadors: Students who have been nominated by their form tutors as exceptional role models for their peers and ambassadors for the school were presented with a certificate and badge.
- College Council: Students who have been selected by their peers to represent their year group’s views were recognised for their commitment.
The Head Boy and Head Girl gave a vote of thanks, to close this remarkable evening. “Presentation Evening was a great success; there was a massive turn out with up to 400 people in the Hall – a very big thank you to everyone involved” said Mr S Gordon.
Thank you to Anna Kompaniets for inspiring the next generation of Huxlow students.